AUSTRALIA: Marr Contracting have announced they will be the first business in Australia to transition from fossil diesel to HVO100 – a diesel made from 100% renewable raw materials, used as a drop-in fuel.
Marr’s Managing Director, Simon Marr, made the announcement at the BioFuturing Australia National Conference hosted by Bioenergy Australia in Brisbane last week.
The initiative is part of Marr’s commitment to reduce their carbon emissions and impact on the environment as part of their 2021 Social Impact Strategy and is an important step towards the business’ journey to net zero carbon emissions. It also comes after significant consultation with Marr’s clients and leaders within Australia’s construction industry on the best solution for transitioning away from fossil fuels.
After investigating alternative power sources and taking the time to understand the issues associated with currently available options, Marr’s R&D team scoured the world for a better solution.
“We’ve looked at the alternatives and believe this is the most sustainable fuel source currently available for the work that we are doing. That’s because it allows us to transition away from fossil diesel and maintain the speed, power and reliability of our cranes to drive productivity and cost-efficiencies on the projects we are working on – while at the same time helping our clients achieve their sustainability goals,” said Marr.
Acknowledging what the move could mean for others in the Australian construction industry, Peter Zonneveld, Vice President Sales, Renewable Road Transportation at Neste said, “Renewable diesel from Neste is a more sustainable alternative to fossil diesel, helping its users reduce greenhouse gas emissions by up to 90%* when emissions over the fuel’s life cycle are compared with fossil diesel. With renewable diesel from Neste, Marr will reduce its climate emissions significantly in an instant by just changing the fuel.”
Marr’s initial order from the world’s leading producer of renewable fuel, Neste, is the first shipment of Neste’s 100 per cent renewable diesel (HVO100) to be used as a drop-in fuel into Australia.
“We’re helping Australia catch up to other regions, such as Europe and the UK, where the switch to renewable diesel is fast becoming the norm for our industry,” said Marr.
Highlighting the challenges faced by many businesses trying to align with the expectations of international companies operating in Australia, Chair of the Clean Fuel Alliance (Bioenergy Australia), Simon Roycroft, said, “Marr’s sector-leading initiative is a game changer for other Australian businesses conscientiously embracing the transition to low carbon liquid fuel. It takes a first mover to influence change, and despite the perceived challenges, Marr’s have demonstrated that where there is strong intent, there is a way.”
ABOUT NESTE MY RENEWABLE DIESEL™ (HVO100)
Renewable fuels, or biofuels as they are often called, are sustainable alternatives to fossil fuels that are commonly used in the road transport, aviation and other sectors.
Neste-produced renewable diesel (HVO100) is a high-performing fuel known as “drop-in” diesel as it is suitable for existing diesel vehicles. HVO100 from Neste:
- Is produced from 100% renewable raw materials, such as waste and residue oils and fats (including used cooking oils, animal and fish fat from food waste and industry food processes);
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions by up to 90%* over their life cycle compared to fossil fuels;
- Is an easy and convenient drop-in solution for all diesel engines, fully compatible with all diesel engines, not requiring any modifications to the existing vehicles or fuel distribution infrastructures;
- Neste only uses renewable raw materials from sources that can be traced back to the point of origin (either the cultivation site or production plant concerned). This enables Neste and its partners to monitor the entire supply chain and ensure suppliers’ absolute commitment to strict sustainability criteria. Neste sources renewable raw materials only from suppliers that are committed to combating deforestation, protecting biodiversity and respecting human rights as defined in Neste’s Supplier Code of Conduct;
- All Neste refineries that produce renewable products have International Sustainability & Carbon Certification (ISCC) or are approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Neste’s refineries in Porvoo, Rotterdam and Singapore have ISO 14001 environmental certification.
For more information about Neste’s commitment to sustainability, visit: Ensuring sustainability is central to Neste – company statement to correct and clarify some issues raised in the recent articles by The Guardian | Neste
* The methodology for calculating life cycle emissions and emissions reduction complies with the European Union’s Renewable Energy Directive II (2018/2001/EU)
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
|AUSTRALIA||UK/ EUROPE & MIDDLE EAST|
m: +61 (0) 405 020 288
TOH PRe: firstname.lastname@example.org
UAE: CELL: +971 5088 57421
LANDLINE: +971 4382 8900
NOTE TO EDITORS:
Marr Contracting are world leaders in the design and delivery of heavy lift luffing tower cranes and heavy lifting services. With almost 100 years’ experience working on large-scale construction projects in Australia and around the world, their expertise spans the large-scale construction, mining, oil and gas, power, nuclear, major transport infrastructure, technology and marine sectors. Not just a crew and cranes for hire, they’re big thinkers and problem solvers who love a challenge with a string of ‘world firsts’ to their name – including the world’s largest capacity tower crane, the Marr 2480D Heavy Lift Luffing (HLL) crane. Follow us: www.marr.com.au Instagram: @the_men_from_marrs/ LinkedIn: the-men-from-marrs-marr-contracting-/
Neste (NESTE, Nasdaq Helsinki) is the world’s leading producer of renewable diesel and sustainable aviation fuel. Neste refines waste, residues and innovative raw materials into renewable fuels and sustainable feedstock for plastics and other materials. By developing chemical recycling to combat the plastic waste challenge, they create solutions for combating climate change and accelerating a shift to a circular economy. Neste is helping customers to reduce greenhouse gas emissions with renewable and circular solutions by at least 20 million tons annually by 2030. As a technologically advanced refiner of high-quality oil products with a commitment to reach carbon-neutral production by 2035, they are also introducing renewable and recycled raw materials such as waste plastic as refinery raw materials. They have consistently been included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices and the Global 100 list of the world’s most sustainable companies. Read more: neste.com